The Museum takes its origin and name from the tireless work of Professor Glauco Lombardi who collected documents and objects relative to the 18th and 19th centuries, with particular regard to the period of the duchy of Maria Luigia (1816 - 1847).
Born in Colorno in 1881, Glauco Lombardi became interested in the work of archivist at a very early age and was able to make many interesting and important discoveries and recover significant works of art and testimony of historical and documentary interest, particularly about such important characters as Maria Luigia of Austria and Napoleon Bonaparte.
The first important nucleus of his collection, housed in Palazzo Ducale di Colorno from 1915 to 1943, was considerably increased following the purchase from count Giovanni Sanvitale of many objects belonging to Maria Luigia and left by her to her daughter Albertina Sanvitale Montenuovo.
It was only in 1961 that the collections found a home in Parma in the city-owned Palazzo di Riserva.

 
Luigi Tagliarini (Sabbioneta, Mantova, 1919-2007)
Portrait of Glauco Lombardi

 

© copyright Fondazione Museo Glauco Lombardi - All rights reserved - e-mail: glaucolombardi@libero.it
versione italiana